Amazon Kindle 2 has quickly become one of the most popular products on Amazon since it was first released in 2007. Some say, Amazon Kindle will replace the normal reading behavior in the near future, this is quite possible. I’m sure this is a great progress, just like the invention of computer. So let’s talk about it here.
First, let’s find out what the hell Amazon Kindle is. According to Wikipedia:
Amazon Kindle is a software and hardware platform for reading electronic books (e-books), developed by Amazon.com subsidiary Lab126, first launched in the United States on November 19, 2007. Two hardware devices, known as “Kindle” and “Kindle 2,” support this platform, as does an iPhone application called Kindle for iPhone.”
The Kindle hardware devices use an electronic paper display and download content over Amazon Whispernet using the Sprint EVDO network. Kindle hardware devices can be used without a computer, and Whispernet is accessible without any fee. These devices also provide free internet access to Wikipedia.
On March 3, 2009, Amazon.com launched an application entitled Kindle for iPhone in the App Store for iPhone and iPod Touch owners to read Kindle content. Through a technology termed “Whispersync,” customers can keep their place across Kindle hardware devices and other mobile devices
See? This is kindle. Very cool, right? Yeah, many people love it like crazy.
So what’s new on Kindle 2? Here are the New Features:
- Slim: Just over 1/3 of an inch, as thin as most magazines
- Lightweight: At 10.2 ounces, lighter than a typical paperback
- Wireless: 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle, anytime, anywhere; no monthly fees, service plans, or hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots
- Books in Under 60 Seconds: Get books delivered in less than 60 seconds; no PC required
- Improved Display: Reads like real paper; now boasts 16 shades of gray for clear text and even crisper images
- Longer Battery Life: 25% longer battery life; read for days without recharging
- More Storage: Take your library with you; holds over 1,500 books
- Faster Page Turns: 20% faster page turns
- Read-to-Me: With the new text-to-speech feature, Kindle can read every newspaper, magazine, blog, and book out loud to you, unless the book is disabled by the rights holder
- Large Selection: Over 260,000 books plus U.S. and international newspapers, magazines, and blogs available
- Low Book Prices: New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases $9.99, unless marked otherwise
Amazon Kindle 2 is a nice upgrade over the original Kindle; yes, it leaves off a couple of key items–most importantly removable memory and a protective carrying case–but it makes up for it with a slicker design, improved performance, increased internal memory, built-in speakers, and a new feature, Text-to-Speech audio reading. This is why so many people are crazy about it.
The only drawback is: Page refreshes are a bit slow compared to a computer, laptop, or even iPhone. The whole thing flashes black and takes a fraction of a second for all the e-ink particles to realign themselves to the new page. But again, compare it to a real book, and you’ll realize you’re turning pages faster than you would to flip a paper page.
What’s better, you can also use Kindle 2 to enjoy audio books. With Kindle, you are able to download and enjoy more than 50,000 audio titles from Audible.com, including bestselling audio books, radio programs, audio newspapers and magazines. Due to their file size, audiobooks are downloaded to your PC over your existing Internet connection and then transferred to Kindle using the included USB 2.0 cable. Listen via Kindle’s speaker or plug in your headphones for private listening.
Amazon Kindle 2 Price: $359.00 (on Amazon)
This is a very affordable for such a wonderful electronic reading device. But it is a little expensive for some countries’ people, maybe Amazon should cut it down a little for those countries so they can spread kindle all over the world quite soon.
You can learn more about Kindle 2 on Amazon.
So what do you think about Amazon Kindle 2?